Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cape Fear Fishing


I fished on the LUCKY STRIKE on Sunday 25th weather was not favorable,but the charter had only one day to fish,so it was a go ahead day ! I made my first stop, in sight of land,we dropped down with bottom rigs,caught some grey snappers,then I saw Roman Szpond from Massachusetts his rod was bent double,he had a good fish on turned out to be an amberjack.but this northerner loved the fight. We landed the amberjack,I knew it was time to move on out to 100' water depth,to find some groupers,for that was what Roman wanted to catch. It was a steady 4' wave with an occasional 6' wave but,the 34' Catamaran performed very well in the sloppy sea.I worked my spots for about an hour or so with no one hooking a grouper,I knew the fish were there,so I stepped to the back deck,I quote " I am going to show you how to catch a grouper" I pulled out my rod, rigged it with my secret rig,dropped down with in a minute I felt the grouper,I missed the fish,I fed him some line,wham! I had hooked a grouper with minutes of dropping down,I landed the black grouper,and excitement spreaded to the charter ! It was on then,that is why and experience captain that will get back and fish with the charter is so important in the success of a fishing charter.With in minutes Roman had hooked another black grouper,sometimes that is what it take to get the grouper to bite, land that first fish !

I am no longer running the Lucky Strike, lots of fun fishing on this boat, owner has passed away, RIP.

Capt.Mike Dennis
910-619-0928

No comments: